US No. 9015
NQF Level 04
This Unit Standard is designed to provide credits towards the mathematical literacy requirement of the NQF at Level 4. The essential purposes of the mathematical literacy requirement are that, as the learner progresses with confidence through the levels, the learner will grow in the outcomes set out below.
Unit standard range:
- Critique the selection of samples in terms of size and representativeness.
- Identify features of distributions: symmetry and asymmetry, clusters and gaps, and possible outliers in data and consider their effects on the interpretation of the data. Critique the use of data from samples to estimate population statistics.
- Apply an understanding of random phenomena to critique and interpret real life and work related situations.
- Critique arguments based on probability in terms of an understanding of random behaviour and the law of large numbers (e.g. lottery `hot` numbers).
- Demonstrate understanding of and determine probabilities for independent, disjoint and complementary events.
- Judge or critique probability values.
- Further range statements are provided for specific outcomes and assessment criteria as needed.
- Critique and use techniques for collecting, organising and representing data.
- Use theoretical and experimental probability to develop models.
- Critically interrogate and use probability and statistical models.