US No. 252020
NQF Level 05
This Unit Standard is intended for managers in all economic sectors. These managers would typically be second level managers such as heads of department, section heads or divisional heads, who may have more than one team reporting to them.
Unit standard range:
- The learner is required to apply the learning in respect of this/her own area of responsibility.
- Unit refers to the division, department or business unit in which the learner is responsible for managing and leading staff.
- Entity includes, but is not limited to, a company, business unit, public institution, small business, Non-Profit Organisation or Non-Governmental Organisation.
- Innovation is the bringing into being of something that did not exist before, i.e. a product, process or idea. Innovation happens when two or more ideas merge, that have never been merged before.
- Techniques for encouraging creativity include brainstorming, mind mapping, lateral thinking and problem solving techniques.
- Steps for solving problems include defining and analysing the problem, generating solutions, analysing solutions, selecting the best solution and developing an action plan.
- Stakeholders include team members, managers, customers, suppliers and interest groups.
- Analyse own unit in terms of opportunities for innovation.
- Demonstrate understanding of the techniques for promoting creativity.
- Develop a plan for creating an environment conducive to innovation.
- Lead a team through a creative thinking process.